- Dogs are prohibited on the beaches of Balboa Island between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. All dogs must be kept on a leash at all times (not to exceed 6 feet). In Newport Beach you are required by law to carry a bag or container for your dog nuisances at all times. Fines are $100 - $500 for dog nuisances not picked up. Please place your used dog waste bags in your own trash can (not your neighbor’s) or in the city’s on the boardwalk. The Association (not the city) provides dog waste bags at 16 dispensers around the island. Please take no more than 2 (two). Dogs are prohibited in the Balboa Island Park (on Agate Ave.) at anytime. Please keep them off the grass!
- All beaches on Balboa Island are public. Alcohol, littering, and smoking are not permitted.
- Bicycles, skateboards and scooters (which fall into the skateboard category) are prohibited from the Island boardwalks and Marine Avenue. For the safety of all, please keep to the right, pass on the left. If you walk your dog on the seawall, walking counter-clockwise is appreciated (“Be polite, keep to the right”). Smoking or alcoholic beverages are not permitted on the boardwalks.
- 7:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on weekdays. Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. No construction on Sundays or holidays (per municipal code this includes residents producing loud noises).
- Wednesday is trash collection day on the Island. CR&R Environmental Services (CR&R) has assumed residential trash collection services for the city. Refuse is not collected on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. If the holiday falls on a weekday, refuse collection will be delayed by one day for the remainder of the week. Contact CR&R for further information: 866-949-9694 email@example.com or their website at crrwasteservices.com. Picking through other people’s trash is illegal in Newport Beach. Please return containers to their out of sight location by 7:00 p.m.
- Fines up to $500. Includes beaches, streets & alleys. Please use the refuse containers at the many locations around the Island for your drink containers, doggie walk bags, and other personal discards. Littering of cigarette butts is a penal code violation; they are not biodegradable and often end up in the bay and on our beaches.
- Please be considerate of your neighbors. Houses are very close together and sound travels on the Island more so than in less dense communities. There is a city Loud and Unruly Ordinance. Fines begin at $500 (up to $3,000) for gatherings over 8 people that disturb the peace, safety, and quiet enjoyment of residential properties.
- The curfew in Newport Beach for persons under the age of 18 is 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. every night.
- Be cautious at all times. 25 MPH (streets) 15 MPH (alleys) or what is deemed safe. Please make full stops at stop signs.
- The city conducts street-sweeping once a week. Check signs to avoid ticketing. The time limit for parking in one spot is 72 hours. Cars parked in the spots designated “Electric Cart Parking Only” will be ticketed. Saving parking spots with chairs or other items per municipal code is illegal. Please call Parking Control for assistance or violations: 949-644-3717.
- are required to be licensed, insured, have seat belts, lights, and turn signals - In other words “street legal”. Golf cart operators must be licensed drivers and obey the same traffic laws as cars.
- The City of Newport Beach has adopted an ordinance prohibiting the operation of gas-powered leaf blowers in residential neighborhoods (a bi-lingual flyer is available on the city’s website).
- If you wash your car on Balboa Island you must corral your water and wet-vac or mop it up. Allowing water (especially soapy) to drain to gutters that lead to the bay is illegal. Even “biodegradable” soap is harmful to our bay as is invisible brake dust. For blatant violations please call the city’s Code & Water Quality Division 949-644-3215. Fines from $100-$500.
- A law forbids feeding the ducks and other birds on the Island.
- Garage sale or announcement signs are allowed on private property only per municipal code and are not permitted on public property (sidewalks; streets; center medians; lamp posts). The maximum period for conducting a yard and/or garage sale in the City is limited to three (3) consecutive days, and no more than two (2) times in any 12 month period.
Fireworks of any kind are prohibited in the city of Newport Beach.